Search This Blog

Thursday, November 26, 2020

Loneliness At Long Ridge Deer Camp

This covid clad deer season has been the oddest one I have hunted in years. I had to cancel the camps, but I left the land open to our hunters. Three or four of us have tagged a doe, but no bucks yet. I have seen 19 deer so far, but only one shootable buck. He was a big 8 or 10 pointer, but fled when I leaned back to look around a tree when I heard a twig snap. 
99% of my sixty years of hunting have been alone. I have been invited to hunt elsewhere perhaps 8 times in my life, and that is OK. But oddly enough,, sitting in a tree stand several days ago I felt very lonely. I decided that with no camps behind me, and none ahead for this season brought on the feeling. Or perhaps it is simply the year 2020. A very messed up year. So I decided to try to be thankful that I am surrounded by thousands of acres of great game country rather than to harbor feelings of loneliness. And in fact, deer have kept me company on nearly every outing. So wherever we are hunting this year, let's be glad that we have that opportunity to be part of the natural world as it really is. 
Below is the buck I would dearly love to take. They are in crazy chase phase now, so one never knows...

Three porkys on a plot. I wonder if it is a mom with two babes, littermates or what. I cannot find it now, but I did get a picture of coyotes and porks on a food plot together, ignoring each other.



Bucks and porcupines also share all the time.



Below: Scratching for the camera!



Mom with two of the cutest cubs. They graze oats like a deer.





A nice rabbit killing cat here.


So do the porks love oats!


This guy!



Exit stage straight away.


Another nice buck.


Buried in turkeys this year. I was worried for nesting time but I guess all turned out OK.





Only skunk on camera this year!



The Western trail needed some hard work before season. 


 

So, with all the bad happenings this year, it will soon be behind us. I wish all of you a good season, safety and happiness. Stay out there, they are moving for sure!

jackzeller@myfairpoint.net

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. Love reading what you write and seeing your photos. So thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...