Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2023

2022 Fall Camps at Long Ridge

A month or so before season, our trails all looked like this. It took a days work for LRDC hunters and then many more hours still to clear, and re-clear the perimeters. 

Relaxing with games and year long catch-up precedes supper and cocktails here in camp.
Actually, not much precedes cocktails other than hunting...
Below is a page from our daily logs. Before heading out each hunter signs on to an area or stand, and upon return marks any wildlife observations. Adding up the deer seen during this fall's hunts totaled 44 deer. 
A comfortable bunk awaits...
Sumptuous game dinners with world class sauces and wine make supper a great event at camp..
After supper the evening festivities begin. Story telling, games, outside fire, and cleanup.
The tree rub below is in the Christmas tree plantation a hundred yards from camp. Where is he during daylight?

The next three photos are from the Far Ridge Stand, does only. I believe I took these during bucks only but in any case, we do not shoot does accompanied by spring babes. They grow bigger and healthier if the have Mom to get then through their first winter.
The barrel of my Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06. My go to for decades.

Here is the first snow shown at the near field and plantation. Beautiful, but it soon melted off.
Big boy this one up on the far Ridge.
The doe below is is seasonal coat transition, and underneath, in very good condition.
East plot deer and Fisher.


Never did see this big buck in anything but night shots. 

Healthy Bobcat on East plot.
Porkies as you know are a favorite of mine. Harmless, but victim of many an old tale.
Oats are a favorite.

Nice night rack.




Spring skinny coyote.

More second camp pictures, fire, and bunk room.


The rifle rack has changed over the years. I'll have to poll all the hunters again as I did fifteen years ago. So much has changed in the hunting equipment world.

My favorite place at all deer hunting camps. The roaring fire, and the conversations around it.
These little racs were born under deer camp and spent the summer doing mischief in the area. There are five right here, but only three peeking out at me.
When we have field scenes like below, I get an excitement in my heart for the hunts to come. The beauty to see.
A single point sling for my cross bow. 
And here is the bow. It is a Killer Instinct, 425 fps, and the best cross bow out there for the money. Because I have surgery to my right hand/wrist this summer I had to give up my compound. I did a lot of research on bows and accessories, and with the expertise of a good pal, ended up with this one. It is extremely accurate, easy to shoot and cock, and so easy to de-cock. Why pay upward of 5000.00 for a cross bow, when 400.000 will do the trick? I do, and will miss my bear compound, and the fun that went into prep each season, but I suppose it was time. 

 More pictures to follow soon, Comments and critique welcome!

 jcottonzeller@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Jack, as always love your blogs! Appreciate your hiking in to Poocham
    Pre season🙂 it was a fun hike for 2 real woodsman!
    Great camps, Great guys! Capt. Tom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...