Search This Blog

Saturday, March 12, 2022

Winter was A Non-Winter at Long Ridge Camp

Much like the past five years, this winter was a non-winter here in SW New Hampshire. Little snow, several ice storms, and never colder than 15 below zero. I well remember winters that ran -35 degrees. Once I jumped in my Ford pickup with vinyl seats, and it was so cold the vinyl shattered. Haven't seen that temperature for 25 years. In 2008 we had over 8 feet of snow here. This year, perhaps 18 inches total. Game is plentiful, and every creature I have observed is in tip top shape and ready for spring. It's my bet that many does will drop triplets. No stress, plenty of available feed, free movement, and a ton of fat on them at the onset of winter. Below are some rather repetitive pictures of deer at the census station. Never more than nine at a time, and absolutely no creatures ever showed other than gray squirrels, a few crows, and a blue jay. That is after over 3800 photos, day and night. The deer were very casual about showing up, would leave food behind, and some nights/days, never showed at all. It was very difficult to do my square mile census count because of lack of snow. My guess is 18. Very unscientific! And to top it off, while cutting wood for next year, I left maples fully branched on the ground for the deer to browse. Most years they ravage them. This year, walk on by, maybe snap one or two buds and keep going. Hummmph....





I do love the eye this little gal is giving a camera...










One caveat to all the above is the fact that we have been logging this winter. Removing mostly pine, but also some large oaks and hemlocks. Some several hundred cords of cordwood and pulp were removed to rejuvenate the forest. It is not pretty looking, but in 2/3 years it will support 5 times the game it is now. A forester once asked me, when I asked him to take a stand of pine that he felt was aesthetically untouchable, what my priorities actually are. I told him, wild life, forest health, money, and then aesthetics. In that order. He was shocked, and that's why I do not hire foresters anymore. I toured the property some 20 years ago of the most trusted wildlife biologist I have ever known and was amazed at the abundance and diversity of the animals and birds on his large tract. I asked him how he did it. He said "log as heavily, and as often, as you can." I asked, what else? He said "Nothing". Below at one of the log landings.

 

In the pictures below, you can see hundreds of yards into the woods. Three months ago, it was so dense and dark it was like a wall. Unfortunately after they cut, we had a good ice storm, so many trees bent over beyond recovery. They came back and took those.



Onto new things, it is time to cut and split cords of firewood for next year. This is a one year old piece of black cherry I split and found an ant colony holed up in for the winter. They seemed dead (it was 10 degrees) but I took some out and warmed them up. Never did wiggle or show any signs of life, so I do not know. I felt badly. I know that sounds silly, but it is the same feeling I get when I unstack a cord of wood after a year or so to take it to the house. An entire ecosystem lives within it. Mice, chipmunks, snakes, spider, woolies, you name it. I hate tearing them down, and feed little creatures back down through the pieces that are left on the pallets to regain cover and hope they make it. But then, I shut off and step out of the shower to save a lady bug or spider. Call me crazy.


Sadly, the last in this row of willows I planted ten years ago succumbed to the ice storm. It now drapes over the cages of Dunstan chestnuts I have planted for the mast deer love. 


In the machinery barn during winter it looks like a 21st century stable because that is exactly what it is. Every one of these rigs gets their due workout.


Below is the Christmas tree plantation with the census station behind it. The pines you see are now gone. What a difference in sunlight now. The low point winter sun barely scrapes the tops during the day, but we'll see more now. So much brighter.


Winter lense from winter barn toward deer camp...


Below is the champion of ant hills in this part of the state. about three feet tall and four across, it is huge and two others to it's lee are springing up. Only a few of you will have noticed this on a major state route very close to here.


 So this makes a quiet winter, a peaceful one as apart from the country and world. I wish this peace and quietness on all. 

jackzeller@myfairpoint.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...