Search This Blog

Friday, September 9, 2016

Pre-Archery Pics and Summer Notes

It has been a long hot summer, and the farm is down to one woods water source for game. This may account for the boringly similar games pictures we have been getting on our cameras. Still fun to look at, but nothing striking.  No big bucks, just plenty of fawns and does, who all look fat and in good shape. We have only just gotten in the last of the food plots. Late, I know, but planted any sooner, and they would have died off in the drought. We did get a half inch last evening, so I am in hopes they will all green up soon. Not a month left until frost possibilities! After my nasty eye (chainsaw) accident I was unable to practice bow, but am about fully mended now and shooting every day. My standard is a four inch group at forty yards and I am about there when I concentrate. Bow season starts in a week! Tightening up stands, and getting ready!
Below you see a buck at the mineral lick. No pictures of anything much bigger than him so far.
I love the 'on alert' pictures
One of our very healthy fawns on the Tall Stand.
Same four pointer as about. Symmetrical, but too young.
The coyote below is one of several that have crept back into this territory. I am sure they will meet their demise this winter at the hands of my neighbor sown the road. Because of the utter lack of them this spring I did note the does did not fawn out quite as close to the barns.
 

Twins at the Tall Stand.
Next two pictures are the same group.

This red fox is probably responsible for our recent chicken loss, but his life is in danger from the coyotes that are here now.


A doe, and a little buck, perhaps the same one, on the Far Ridge
Fat little fawn in the Far Field.

The snakes below are one of the most interesting pictures I took this summer with my camera. These two guys were sunning together in a stone foundation at the winter barn. One is a garter snake, and one is a twice as big common milk snake. Typically the milk snakes will kill and eat the garters. Their heads were right together until I approached to snap a picture. If you click on it you can see the garter's head just inside the shadow.
Turkey on the East Plot.
On the prowl, also on the East plot.
En Garde on the East plot
The doe below has been nursing two babes all summer. Look at her health, and tell me there is not a lot to eat out there!
Below with a babe.
Pretty good selfie for a youngster!
We sense the camera
We may flee...
 definitely nursing!

 
So folks, it's off to archery. Plenty of game out there! We don't shoot does with babes, so we may have to wait a bit. But THAT makes it what it is! Good luck to all this fall, and LRDC will keep you posted. Last, I will be doing just one more review on the S&W 1911 Sc Commander, and the results may surprise you. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed looking at all your pictures from camp and hope you have a great bow season. Sorry to hear about your mishap with your eye. Glad it is better so you can hunt. GOODHUNTING to all! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...