Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2016

Latest on the S&W 1911Sc

Yesterday I got my beloved 1911 SC back from S&W. They made it right, and repaired everything, paying shipping both ways...New plunger housing staked on, and chamfered correctly it looks like. 
 
We're at the range and ready to fire 300 rounds of cheap Russian Wolf Poly ammo.
Ten yards rapid fire, four full magazines worth. Remember, we are testing for operation,
not accuracy. Not Olympic groups, but respectable for crap ammunition.

The target below I decided to fire a magazine of 185 grain +P Remington Golden Saber, my duty carry ammo. Not an issue. Spot on.
Fifteen yards, rapid fire. This is with the Russian stuff. Not pretty, but doable. 
Rapid fire with Russian at 25 yards. Not easy with this lightweight .45 ACP. In fact, I can tell you, it is damn difficult to shoot rapid fire with a lightweight .45 ACP. If you disagree, write and tell me why. I suspect you do not have much experience..
All over the place rapid fire, but, acceptable if in a violent confrontation.
Thirty+ rounds, cadence fired to the head at 30 yards. I am NOT pleased with this target.
OK, is it the gun, the ammo, or me? I set this target up at 15 yards and shot at cadence speed. Watch the front sight. 100 rounds. Press. and voila...it is shooting spot on.
I do need to say though, that the Wolf Poly ammo is a no go. It IS cheap, and now we know why. It is not entirely accurate or dependable. The Russians use extremely hard primers, and if you shoot this stuff and have a failure to fire, try the round again. Sometimes it'll go, and sometimes not. If not, dump it. It burns extremely dirty.  Below you see the repaired S&W torn down. I have never cleaned a dirtier weapon than this one after 300 rounds of Wolf Poly Ammo. It is terrible. After 150 rounds of failure free shots, we had constant failure to feeds, with the failure to feed bullet up in a half closed battery. 
 is
Below is the product of 300 rounds of the poorest and dirtiest ammunition I have ever fired. This .45 was gunked up beyond  belief, and I had multiple failures to feed.  I
know this is not the fault of the gun because I shot twenty rounds of duty +P 185 grain Golden Saber, and they functioned perfectly. 
Conclusion: Got the gun back, all fixed. Operates fine, and I realize now, after having fired some 500 rounds through my S&W M&P 9 while the .45 was gone, how easy it is to control the 9mm. Now, in defense of the .45, I am shooting a lightweight one. It is tremendously difficult to control if you are not an experienced shooter. This is a professional's gun to be sure. It is accepted among the pro's that if you shoot a lightweight commander type over a full size, you'll have to train 25 % more to obtain the same skill level as you would with a full size. I can live with that, as I shoot all the time.
 
On a calmer note. Can you believe these lilys in our kitchen? The perfume is almost overwhelming!
 
 
 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...